Community radio stations seek funds to support their daily operations as well as to create new initiatives, including journalism, storytelling and community engagement. Fortunately, there are many grant opportunities available to community media organizations. Many funding opportunities are focused on content and staff development. A few grants and fellowships with upcoming deadlines include:
- The Solutions Journalism Network is looking to support high-quality reporting that examines innovations in elections and citizenship that have the potential to yield better campaigns and a stronger democracy. Deadline is August 31. Apply here.
- ProPublica’s Emerging Reporters Program provides a $9,000 stipend, along with mentoring and trips to the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting conference and the organization’s New York office, for five students each year who work or want to work at college journalism outlets. Apply here.
- The Learning Disabilities Foundation of America is seeking applications for projects which respond to an unmet need in the field of learning disabilities. These efforts include distinctive public awareness programs to advance public understanding of the needs of persons with learning disabilities. Deadline is September 15. Apply here.
- Applications for organizations to host a Report for America corps member are now open. If your newsroom is selected, Report for America pays about half of an entry-level salary. The rest is split between the news organization and local donors. The reporter becomes an employee of your newsroom, serving for one to two years, starting in June 2020. Deadline is September 20. Apply here.
- The American Association of University Women is seeking applications for its Community Action Grants to provide funds that address issues related to the needs of women and girls. Deadline is December 1. Learn more and apply here.
Your community radio station can receive more information about grants, fellowships and other funding opportunities as a member organization of NFCB. Station receive weekly grant updates and availabilities from a diverse range of funders. If your community media organization is not a member, you can join now.