Streaming an entire album by a single artist violates the DMCA
Q. Is it still a violation of the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) to stream an entire album by a single artist in one program? Has anyone ever been prosecuted for doing that?
A. Yes, it is still a violation. No, we don’t know if anyone has been prosecuted. Here is the rule:
Sound Recording Performance Complement. A Webcaster must comply with the “sound recording performance complement,” which prohibits a Webcaster from transmitting within any given three hour period more than:
- Three songs from the same album;
- Two songs consecutively from the same album;
- Four songs by a particular artist;
- Four songs from a boxed set; and
- Three songs consecutively from a boxed set.
The information in this post was reviewed by Melodie Virtue, partner in the law firm of Garvey Schubert Barer, Washington DC