August 20 is a good time to share why community radio matters.
National Radio Day happens Sunday, August 20. It is aimed at demonstrating radio’s importance. Social media last year was alight with listeners sharing why radio means so much to them. Now it is your chance as a station to remind your audience about the difference community radio makes.
#NationalRadioDay is an outstanding chance to host a local event, do an online or on-air fundraiser and celebrate. Is this another one of those online sort-of recognition days? If your audience knows about it – and they do – it is important to them and should be of value to community radio.
Just a few ideas:
- Live music or speaking events for your city or town
- Posting photos of your listeners on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #NationalRadioDay
- Collaborations with your local businesses and nonprofits to honor radio’s impact
- Share NFCB’s Facebook event
- A day-long special broadcast commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love
- Asking online and on-air to give a small donation in support of community radio
- PSAs and promos reminding fans about National Radio Day and why community radio is special
Do not let August 20 pass by without asking your audience to get involved.