Date Submitted: April 7, 2022
Job Title: Managing Editor
Station: Rocky Mountain Community Radio
Location: Aspen, CO
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $60,000 annual salary
Professional experienced broadcast journalist wanted to serve as the first managing editor and producer for the 18 member stations of Rocky Mountain Community Radio, a coalition of non-commercial radio stations in Colorado (15), New Mexico (1), Utah (1), and Wyoming (1). Current newsroom capacity
across these stations varies from zero to five, with the average being 1-2 broadcast journalists on staff.
This is a new position funded by a three-year grant from the Colorado Media Project and by RMCR member stations. RMCR stations are independent public radio stations that share daily content via Slack and work together to produce in-depth features on regional issues relevant to each station.
This position will collaborate with journalists and news producers at RMCR stations on news, stories, and public affairs programs relevant to both their local audience and other RMCR stations. They will gather content produced by RMCR stations, edit and post-produce content as needed to meet network
standards, then re-distribute via Slack for broadcast and digital publication by RMCR stations. The position requires the combined skills of a broadcast news producer, a diplomatic editor, and a radio reporter. It requires someone with solid regional news judgment and journalism experience, who understands the demands and attractions of working in a small news department at a public radio station in the Rocky Mountain region.
• Meet and get to know the journalists and news and public affairs producers working at each RMCR radio station;
• Understand each station’s journalism production capacity, news and public affairs programming, and station goals;
• Edit and produce in-depth broadcast and digital news stories in collaboration with broadcast journalists at RMCR member stations;
• Produce in-depth broadcast series on key issues as selected by RMCR stations, potentially in coordination with funding received;
• Prepare stories, features, and shows from broadcast journalists at RMCR stations for distribution to other RMCR newsrooms;
• Facilitate production of stories, features, and shows from coalition stations that are of interest to RMCR member stations;
• Communicate via a daily “daybook” with RMCR member stations;
• Edit broadcast scripts and digital posts with broadcast journalists at RMCR member stations;
• Produce broadcast audio, and digital images, to agreed-upon standards in collaboration with RMCR journalists;
• Manage content distribution formats and channels;
• Track publication of RMCR content on RMCR platforms.
This position will work on location at Aspen Public Radio (110 E Hallam Street, Suite 134, Aspen, CO 81611), or remotely, but within the region served by RMCR stations. Start date: July 1, 2022. This is a full-time salaried position reporting to the Aspen Public Radio (KAJX) news director. Aspen Public Radio, a member of RMCR, is providing a home for the position, in service to and in collaboration with other RMCR stations. Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits including employer-paid health insurance, 403(b) match, and paid vacation.
Send required application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org