Stations and interested individuals are encouraged to start fundraising now to attend the 2019 Community Media Conference.
In June 2019, NFCB will convene community media leaders and organizers nationwide for the Community Media Conference, a gathering dedicated to focussing on honest efforts to solve the pressing problems facing nonprofit, noncommercial, volunteer-inspired media. We seek to build a network of people and initiatives working to achieve long term solutions. We want to connect and support those in our communities who are acting on issues that directly impact people’s lives. We are committed to lifting up everyone devoted to new strategies and community building at the local level.
The sessions, networking and learning opportunities may be priceless, but travel expenses can be challenging. For this reason, prospective attendees and stations should start organizing now to be in San Diego.
How does your station fundraise to attend a conference? NFCB recommends the following:
- If you are at a station, identify the people who want to go, and determine roles in your fundraising effort.
- Set a fundraising goal based on your anticipated expenses, with a little added in, for emergencies and incidentals.
- Develop your pitch – start with who, what, where, when and why – as to why people should contribute to your appeal.
- Promote your efforts to your network, and give frequent updates.
- Do your fundraising on a timeline, and evaluate your progress, being ready to change gears if your method needs a boost or is not producing what you want.
- Keep your fundraising going until your timeline is done.
There are many methods to fundraise for your efforts, including crowdfunding, local events and activities, a challenge match (someone gives an amount if another amount is raised), grants, and approaching individuals, organizations and bosses to give. Sometimes a mix of these techniques and more can be most effective.
Share with NFCB your campaigns and your success stories. We want you to attend and may amplify your message even further.
The 2019 Community Media Conference takes place June 18-20, 2019 in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you there.