Date Submitted: May 26, 2022
Job Title: General Station Manager
Station: KPFK-Pacifica (Pacifica Foundation)
Location: Los Angeles, California
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000
Employment Type: Full-Time
FLSA Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports To: Pacifica Foundation Executive Director
Collaborates With: Local Station Board
ABOUT PACIFICA FOUNDATION
The Pacifica Foundation is a non-profit agency providing educational services.
The Pacifica Foundation is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Pacifica Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
KPFK Radio, 90.7 FM Los Angeles, seeks a General Manager with a proven track record of collaborative leadership and vision to provide innovative, high quality, free speech community-based non-commercial radio to a diverse audience in a major media market.
KPFK is licensed to the Pacifica Foundation Inc., founded in 1946 as a nonprofit mission-driven democratic media institution. KPFK was established in 1959 as the second listener-supported radio station in the Pacifica network. Historically, Pacifica invented listener-sponsored broadcasting. Pacifica is dedicated to education, free speech, peace, social justice, and cross-cultural understanding. Pacifica national and local boards include elected delegates of listener and staff members.
KPFK is the strongest FM signal west of the Mississippi, broadcasting at 112,000 watts of power, serving most of Southern California from Santa Barbara to San Diego, webcasting at KPFK.org, with an eclectic mix of public affairs, talk, news, culture, music, and health and spirituality content, including some Spanish language programming.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the capacity to build the station’s audience, financial support, and vital role in public discourse, working with paid and volunteer staff, other volunteers, trainees, and democratic governance, to develop effective community engagement using terrestrial broadcasting along with a significant web presence, social media, podcasting, and multimedia production.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
The GM is hired and supervised by the Executive Director (ED) of Pacifica following a search process by the elected KPFK Local Station Board (LSB). This is a full-time exempt management position. The GM works with the KPFK LSB and Pacifica’s ED in implementing the Pacifica Mission, and is subject to an annual evaluation by the LSB.
The General Manager is responsible and accountable for overall management and all station operations including programming; finance; budgeting; compliance with all necessary local, state, and Federal laws and regulations, especially FCC compliance; technical operations; facilities management; long-term planning; fund-raising; web and social media presence; public relations; and personnel, supervising a staff of more than 10 FTE employees and more than 200 volunteer staff members. Working with the paid and volunteer staff and a management team, the Local Station Board, and the community, the General Manager is responsible for monitoring and guiding the station.
KPFK GM – Job Description General Manager – Pacifica Radio
Financial Accountability and Responsibilities
- The General Manager is expected to increase gross income, net income, listenership and membership and ensure that KPFK complies with all local, state and national regulations and laws. Further, the General Manager is expected to adhere to Pacifica National Board and Pacifica National Office policies and practices.
- Supervise preparation of a strategic annual balanced budget for the station, in collaboration with the LSB Finance Committee, Pacifica’s interim Chief Financial Officer (iCFO) and ED; obtain LSB budget approval, then National Finance Committee (NFC) and Pacifica National Board (PNB) approval. This includes working to rebuild financial reserves over time. The budgeting process includes proposing appropriate levels of staffing and the amount and schedule of time spent fund-raising on-air.
- Administer the budget throughout the year, facilitating and responding to quarterly LSB review, assuring that there are complete, timely, accurate records for the annual audit.
- Provide regular monthly reports on revenue and expenditures for oversight by the local Finance Committee, LSB, and the National Office.
General Operations/Physical Plant
- Oversee optimal transmitter function and compliance with all necessary local, state and Federal laws and regulations; oversee maintenance of all KPFK retransmission and booster equipment throughout the region.
- Supervise physical plant maintenance in conjunction with the Chief Engineer and/or Operations Manager in compliance with all necessary local, state and Federal laws and regulations.
- Coordinate with the Pacifica National Office and Pacifica Radio Archives, both housed in the KPFK building owned by the Pacifica Foundation.
- Select a Program Director from a pool of candidates presented by the LSB, budget permitting.
- Ensure that program content complies with all State and Federal laws and regulations as well as Pacifica programming policies and requirements, and that, by meeting community needs, it increases KPFK’s audience, and enhances its impact and reputation.
- Establish, maintain, and review programming goals and services in line with the Pacifica Mission; oversee a regular process of evaluation and improvement.
- Oversee technical broadcast operations, and program content, delivery, format, production values, and schedule.
- Supervise the PD, or ensure that the duties of a PD are covered if no PD exists, and communicate programming goals and initiatives to the staff, LSB and listeners.
- Supervise all station staff, both paid (10+) and volunteer (200+); maintain accurate records of all staff and their current contact information.
- Attend trade union contract negotiations, handle grievances process, and manage union employees.
- Follow all Pacifica procedures and state and Federal laws, regarding employment processing, recruitment and selection, hiring, termination, and other personnel actions; ensure compliance with the Pacifica Foundation employment handbook and union contracts.
- Ensure that public safety measures are in place at the station for paid and volunteer staff, members of the general public, and visitors.
- Report to the PNB quarterly or upon request on the status of diversity of station staffing, programming and audience (data permitting) within the radio station areas.
FCC, CPB, EEO, AG Reports
- Ensure complete and timely compliance with all necessary public file reports, annual CPB Station Activity Surveys, FCC license renewal applications, EEO mandates, charity registration with the CA Attorney General, OSHA regulations, and/or other necessary local, State and Federal filings.
- Broadcast monthly reports to the listeners with at least half the scheduled time allotted for listener call-ins; schedule a similar report from governance, as required by Pacifica policy.
- Represent the station and Pacifica at public forums; handle media relations for the station.
- Engage in broad community outreach and audience development.
- Maintain publication of appropriate station and network information, including those required by law (e.g., EEO) or by policy.
- Lead collaborative process to develop effective strategic plans for fund-raising on- and off-air, and supervise their implementation.
- Meet with donors.
- Collaborate with national fund-raising efforts.
- Oversee development and maintenance of KPFK’s Web services and social media engagement.
- Oversee training of paid and volunteer staff in regard to policies, operations, program quality, vocal quality, fund- raising, community engagement, and audience development.
- Serve as a non-voting ex-officio member of the Local Station Board; report to the LSB in person and in writing at all monthly LSB meetings and as necessary.
- Work with the Local Elections Supervisor (LES) to implement all Pacifica governance election procedures and policies, including outreach to and education of listener-sponsors; maintain accurate, up-to-date records of the station’s two classes of members (listener-sponsors and staff) as required by the CA Corporations Code; and provide adequate station resources to help ensure the election meets quorum.
- Attend Pacifica National Board meetings or upon request.
Other duties as assigned. Job descriptions are subject to change without notice based on the needs of the station and foundation.
Successful Candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Understanding of and commitment to the Pacifica Mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience in related field.
- Five years of management experience in radio or related media, journalism or nonprofit management required, non-commercial radio preferred.
- Candidate shall possess excellent management skills and a proven ability to work collaboratively with paid and volunteer staff and governance, to prioritize and to delegate responsibilities appropriately and effectively.
- Candidate shall possess strong interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers. Turn around management experience would be a plus.
- Candidate must be committed to creating a diverse workplace and serving the needs of a diverse audience.
- Fund-raising experience required.
- Bilingual English-Spanish desirable.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs., approximately three (3) times per week.
- Must be able to navigate stairs multiple times during each work shift.
- Ability to think clearly and manage multiple changing priorities, and remain pleasant and positive.
- Requires critical thinking and ability to support people with difficult challenges.
- Requires good judgment.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the U.S., 21 years of age or older, verification of degree/credentials, satisfactory Background Check, agreeing to uphold all of the Pacifica Foundation Policies and Procedures, Confidentiality Agreement, Policy on Outside Employment, Policy on Prohibiting/Preventing Workplace Violence, Policy to Prohibit Harassment in the Workplace, Policy on Ethics, adhering to Drug-Free Workplace Policy, compliance with Workplace Injury and Illness Prevention
Policies, and compliance with HIPAA Rules and Regulations, (by signature).
- Compensation: $70-80,000 per annum, DOE: Full Benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability as well as 403b Retirement Plan with Employer match.
The Pacifica Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, gender, age, disability, or sexuality.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com or by postal mail to:
KPFK GM Search
Pacifica Foundation National Office
Attention: Grace Aaron, Search Committee Pro-tem Chair
3729 Cahuenga Boulevard West
Studio City CA 91604-3504
Please be prepared to provide letters of reference upon request.
You will receive an electronic confirmation of the receipt of your application.
The Pacifica Foundation and KPFK are Equal Opportunity Employers
Send required application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address application materials to: Grace Aaron, Pro tem Chair, KPFK General Manager Search Committee