Date Submitted: February 6, 2023
Job Title: Executive Director / General Manager
Station: KZMU Moab Community Radio
Location: Moab, UT
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: Starting Salary: $45,500
KZMU is hiring an Executive Director/General Manager
Application deadline: Open until filled, accepting applications immediately.
Start date: April 3rd, 2023 at the latest.
Reports to: KZMU Board of Trustees
Terms: Full Time, four day work week, 32-35 hours/week
Starting Salary: $45,500
KZMU is seeking a detail-oriented, resourceful, and passionate leader to join the KZMU team high atop Rocky Road in Moab, Utah. The Executive Director/General Manager oversees all day to day operations at KZMU. They supervise all departments including the News and Public Affairs Department, the Music Department (which also manages all volunteers), Engineering, and Accounting. The ED/GM is the primary liaison between the Board of Trustees and the staff of KZMU and is responsible for keeping KZMU legal and up to date within FCC, IRS, and DMCA guidelines. The ED/GM is responsible for creating and adhering to the annual budget and is the primary grant writer and administrator, fundraising coordinator, and underwriting administrator. The position is based in Moab, Utah and requires the ability to be flexible in the work schedule during certain times of the year.
The starting salary for this position starts at $45,500 . KZMU provides at least a 2% COLA at the start of each Fiscal Year (January) provided the operating budget allows. KZMU provides an annual Health & Wellness Stipend, paid vacation in addition to four floating holidays and federal holidays, paid sick, maternity, medical leave, and a four day work week for this position.
KZMU Moab Community Radio is a noncommercial, independent community radio station primarily serving Moab and Grand County. However our FM signal reaches north to Green River, UT, west to Ghost Rock, UT, south to Monticello, UT, and east just past the Colorado state line. KZMU is a grassroots radio station with more than 85 volunteer DJs who program self-selected music programming from 9 am to 11 PM. KZMU is proud to have an in-house news department that is the only source for daily local news (Monday – Friday) in our area. KZMU is not an NPR affiliate station and is not supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The station is a member of the National Federation for Community Broadcasters, Rocky Mountain Community Radio Coalition, and Pacifica Foundation.
- Day to Day Operations
- Responsible for the planning, organizing, and directing of the organization’s operations and programs, including budget development and oversight.
- Provides leadership to and manages the efforts of site staff to ensure appropriate support of all departments.
- Oversee facilities and property
- Ensure FCC licensure and legal compliance
- Participate in regional and national cohort calls (ie: National Federation of Community Broadcasters, Rocky Mountain Community Radio, Public Media for All, Pacifica Foundation, etc)
- Donor Recruitment + Fundraising
- Organize and managing bi-annual fundraisers (Radiothons)
- Act as the station’s primary grant administrator
- Manage advertiser underwriting program with the assistance of Office Administrator
- *Underwriting refers to paid announcements from sponsors, i.e. the non-commercial equivalent of a radio ad.
- Board and Community Engagement
- Responsible for coordinating special events, corresponding with members/supporters, and periodically gathering community input on programming
- Coordinate monthly Board of Trustee meetings and serve as the liaison between the Board and staff.
- Coordinate special events
- Correspond with supporters/members of the public (phone, letter, e-mail)
Essential Core Competencies: Clear and accurate written and verbal communication, highly organized, ability to develop and execute long-term strategic goals, personnel management, fundraising and development, ability to work independently and in a team, and deep understanding of rural communities and the nonprofit sector.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to:
- Perform quality work within deadlines without direct supervision
- Interact professionally with staff, donors, volunteers, listeners, underwriters, subcontractors, etc.
- Work independently, and collaboratively, understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with staff, Trustees, community partners. etc.
- Set and meet deadlines and complete assigned duties on time
- Responsive to constructive feedback
- At least 2 years of experience in personnel management
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector, with an emphasis on grant writing and fundraising
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for public media
- Understanding and appreciation of rural communities
- Demonstrated ability to write for radio, the web, and social media
- Working knowledge of broadcast equipment is preferred
- A curious mind
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize tasks
- Computer literacy:
- Audacity, or similar audio editing software
- G Suite
- Social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook)
- Basic folder organization and navigation for Windows PC
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to KZMU’s Chair of the Board of Trustees, Neal Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be reviewed by a hiring committee composed of trustees, a member of KZMU staff, and a member of the local public. The submission window is open; the position is open until filled.
What Else You Should Know:
KZMU is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who come from the communities we broadcast to. We especially encourage people who are Indigenous, people of color, people from rural communities, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. Experience in broadcast journalism, community radio, and local media is a plus.
Send required application materials to: email@example.com
Address application materials to: Neal Clark (KZMU chair of Board of Trustees)