Date Submitted: April 1, 2022
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Columbia, MO
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000
KOPN 89.5 FM, a listener-supported community radio station in Columbia, MO, seeks candidates for the position of Executive Director. (This position replaces the position of General Manager.)
KOPN provides eclectic music, local news and talk, and syndicated programming from NPR, PRX, and Pacifica. KOPN is a CPB-qualified, FCC-licensed station owned and operated by the New Wave Corporation, a local 501(c)(3) organization. Broadcasting at 36,000 watts, KOPN serves an area of approximately 100 miles in diameter in central Missouri.
Through a successful capital campaign (still underway), we have purchased and are in the process of moving to an updated, accessible building with the move to be complete by June 2022. KOPN will have its 50th birthday in March 2023. This would be a great time to join KOPN as we celebrate our remarkable history, work on plans for ensuring our continued value and importance to the community into the future, train new volunteers, and enjoy modern space with our own ample parking for the first time in 49 years.
KOPN volunteers include all ages, locals and internationals, people from varied socioeconomic backgrounds, people who may disagree about many other things but who work well together to create community radio. Per our mission, our radio signal both represents and serves the people of mid-Missouri.
Mid-way between Kansas City and St. Louis, Columbia is home to the flagship campus of the University of Missouri as well as to Columbia College and Stephens College. Mid-Missouri has a vibrant arts community that hosts film, art, and music festivals.
The Executive Director will report to the New Wave Corporation Board of Directors and manage a small paid staff (operations manager, office manager, and part-time underwriting support) and a large corps of volunteers. The Executive Director will be responsible (directly and, as appropriate, with staff support) and accountable for overall administration, financial planning and accounting, compliance with all relevant legal and other requirements, development and fundraising, personnel, programming, community engagement, and technical operations of the station.
This is a full-time salaried, FSLA exempt position that requires schedule flexibility to accommodate occasional special station events and those infrequent but inevitable ill-timed emergencies.
Salary: commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Anticipated range: $45,000-$55,000.
Benefits: paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- Degree in a related field or equivalent professional experience in media, non-profit fundraising, or management.
- Five years of relevant professional experience that includes budgetary responsibility and financial oversight.
- Supervisory experience and familiarity in some capacity with volunteer-powered organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational skills, and computer literacy.
- Ability to collaborate constructively with professional and non-professional individuals and groups from a variety of backgrounds.
- Interest in non-profit community radio.
- Willingness and ability to learn pertinent technical skills.
- Good problem-solving skills, both creative and practical
- Demonstrated commitment to professional ethics and to meeting deadlines.
A detailed position description can be found at:
Potential applicants should consult that document for more specific information about duties and qualifications, and for application instructions.
Deadline: Open until filled
KOPN is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and mutual respect among staff and volunteers.
Send required application materials to: GMsearch@kopn.org