Current Job Openings
News Director, WXPR, Rhinelander, WI
WXPR Public Radio, an award-winning NPR affiliate station in Rhinelander, WI, seeks a News Director to join our team. We are looking for the right candidate to help build the future of WXPR news, with an emphasis on thoughtful, audio-rich, in-depth reporting.
As the News Director, you would be responsible for the planning, production and presentation of news on WXPR.
This is a full-time exempt position. The News Director reports to the General Manager and works in cooperation with station staff to support the station mission.
WXPR is an independent, community-licensed public radio station founded in 1983 and operated by White Pine Community Broadcasting, Inc. From studios at 28 North Stevens Street in downtown Rhinelander, Wisconsin, WXPR can be heard at 91.7fm in a 70 mile radius of Rhinelander, with extended service to Ironwood, Michigan via translator at 100.9fm, and through a shared transmitter in Wausau, Wisconsin at 91.9fm WXPW. Scores of volunteer on-air hosts produce and deliver 70 hours of unique music programming per week. In addition, WXPR is an NPR affiliate that airs national news and produces its own local news.
- Responsible for the journalistic integrity of all station activities and platforms
- Responsible for developing story ideas, tracking issues and events, scheduling stories and scheduling time for interviewing, writing and editing
- Serve as a primary editor to ensure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner
- Assist with news programming decisions and news operations
- Maintain quarterly online Public File
- Act as a proactive liaison to various internal and external constituencies to advance the station’s news programming.
- Anchor NPR’s Morning Edition and/or All Things Considered
- Produce various features, special programs and news forums
- Participate in station events and fundraising activities
- Attend news events and breaking news
- Make timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention. Act as a primary leader during crisis response.
- Self-motivated, organized, good time-management skills, and ability to perform assigned duties with little supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work through difficult and stressful situations
- Experience with Adobe Audition or other digital audio editing software
- Demonstrated understanding of digital and social media
- NPR style anchoring and voicing skills
- Ability to produce NPR quality features and spot news
- Ability to operate digital audio broadcast equipment, including ENCO and similar systems.
- Experience operating a broadcast board
- Strong broadcast writing and reporting skills
- Proficiency as a photographer is a plus
- A four-year degree in journalism, and/or a minimum two years full-time professional experience in journalism, preferably in a multi-platform news environment.
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Retirement plan
- Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please send a work sample, cover letter and resume by to WXPR General Manager Jessie Dick Please detail how you heard about the job. Pay will be commensurate with experience. The position will remain open until filled.
Content Director, KSFR, Santa Fe, NM
The Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation—operator of KSFR, a public radio station broadcasting from Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico’s capital city—seeks to hire its first Content Director to bring high-quality local news and community media programming to listeners on multiple platforms. The Content Director is responsible for the vision, strategic development, and production of all content and its distribution on KSFR’s FM broadcast and digital platforms with the goal of engaging, retaining, growing, and diversifying KSFR’s audience in Northern New Mexico. The Content Director manages the creation and direction of KSFR’s locally-focused news, public affairs, and music content, as well as recruitment and training of volunteer, part-time, and full-time media producers.
Specific Duties Include:
• Lead a team of journalists and producers in creating meaningful and informative content for digital and broadcast platforms with a focus on local concerns and issues.
• Establish relationships with the diverse communities KSFR serves and create a plan to listen to community needs in order to inform content creation and engagement strategy.
• Reach new audiences through a variety of platforms with the goals of both increasing audience size and individual engagement with KSFR. Analyze audience data, trends and user habits to develop and evolve content and use of platforms.
• Design and implement a consistent brand identity over broadcast and digital platforms.
• Maintain firewall between editorial content creation and other departments and funders.
• Develop collaborations with independent producers, arts organizations, and civic organizations to produce innovative local content that aligns with KSFR’s core mission.
• Manage content production budget and provide direction for public and private grant requests and other special projects.
• Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteer producers.
• Ensure that all content meets high standards for journalistic ethics and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
• Participate in KSFR’s on-air and digital fundraising activities.
• Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervise all volunteer, part-time, and full-time producers. Supervise News Department and News Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Programming experience with a successful news-formatted public or community radio station.
• Strong knowledge of digital marketing, web analytics, digital media and audio production.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and troubleshoot new technologies and web-based tools.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, select, train, and supervise personnel.
• Understanding of local issues of importance in Northern New Mexico.
• Highly developed organizational, interpersonal communications, and time management skills.
• Experience and comfort with speaking on-air as needed.
• Multilingual skills are strongly preferred but not a prerequisite.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in journalism, media or content creation, including managing journalists or producers.
• Excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent administrative and managerial skills.
• Extensive experience in public or community media. Previous experience in a nonprofit setting preferred.
• Experience in audio production, digital media production, and/or digital publishing. Proficiency in Adobe Audition is preferred.
• Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24-7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
Position open until filled.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).
Send resume and cover letter to:
Deadline Open Until Filled
Managing Producer, BirdNote, Seattle, WA
BirdNote seeks a skilled Managing Producer (MP) who has proven experience managing innovative media programming for a wide range of audiences on radio and multimedia platforms.
This position is key to BirdNote’s mission: to create sound-rich stories in a variety of formats that will inspire a growing audience to care about birds and the natural world. The MP will have a primary role in helping the organization reach its strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audio-listening audience, while ramping up BirdNote’s digital production to meet the demands of mobile consumers.
The MP will oversee production of the daily show, provide program direction, and manage an experienced production team with an assistant producer and 8-10 professional contractors. The MP will ensure that the distribution of programs meets deadlines and goals across multiple channels on public radio and digital media.
The Managing Producer will:
• Have primary production responsibility and decision making for the BirdNote two-minute daily program, meeting monthly deadlines and fostering a collaborative team environment that encourages feedback and review of audience data to refine content.
• Manage and work in concert with a with an experienced and growing team that includes production staff, up to 10 contractors, including professional writers, editors, producers and narrators, science advisors, and other staff, as required.
• Direct and manage new content, which includes actively pursuing collaborations with skilled independent producers for longer/shorter broadcast stories, extended podcasts and some video production; collaborate with staff and contractors on related content under BirdNote’s brand.
• Set production goals and targets to align with BirdNote’s strategic goals and measure against results.
• Ensure an audience/customer focus with data-driven analytics and metrics, including target audiences defined for growth and expansion.
• Foster an expanding digital focus that includes use of social media tools to advance BirdNote’s audience goals, following standards and industry best practices.
• Ensure that all facets of programming adhere to and advance BirdNote’s mission, strategic goals, business strategies, standards of quality, and scientific accuracy.
Approximately 37% of MP’s time will be devoted to the two-minute daily shows, 38% to the development of new content and 25% to team collaboration, management, and administration.
• BA or BS in journalism, communications, or related field; or equivalent experience;
• Proven experience in leadership, managing staff, and building an effective team;
• 3-5 year’s experience producing on-air and digital content with strong storytelling skills;
• 1-2 years of proven success developing material in multiple formats across multiple platforms;
• Knowledge of and experience with digital and social media;
• Experience and enthusiasm for building audiences and relationships with external stakeholders;
• Positive, self-motivated, responsible, results-oriented – a team player;
• Excellent written and interpersonal communications.
• Interest in and knowledge of birds and nature;
• Passion to help BirdNote realize strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audience;
• Enthusiasm to work with a dedicated team that places high value on quality, a work ethic that ensures the job is done well and on time, and willingness to go beyond the call of duty when opportunities arise;
• Ability to experiment and learn from experience;
• A collaborative spirit and a good sense of humor;
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours (with advance notice);
• Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
Hire contingent upon passing a background check.
Salary range: $65,000 – $68,000 FT, DOE
Benefits: includes a generous benefit package including a $5,000 moving/housing allowance, paid time off, medical, dental, disability and life plans, plus retirement.
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter that explains how your skills, experience and interests align with this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your salary requirements and at least 3 links to sample audio stories.
Location: Seattle, WA
BirdNote staff and contractors work virtually from home and communicate electronically on a regular basis, coming together for meetings and planning via Skype, BlueJeans, and Seattle-based coffee houses.
BirdNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Submit a Listing