Current Job Openings
Underwriting Associate, KRCL, Salt Lake City, UT
|Job Title||Underwriting Associate|
|City/State||Salt Lake City, UT|
|Position Type||Part Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||0-2 years|
|Required Travel||50% or more|
|Where to Send Resume/Letter||Please send cover letter, resume, 3 references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.|
Job Description/Information: Primary Responsibility: Secure annual underwriting budget, develop and maintain positive community relations with businesses, corporations, organizations and individuals and offer impeccable customer service to clients and business partners
Secure annual underwriting budget
• Secure underwriting contracts for KRCL, cultivate positive working relationships with partners
• Develop and implement written plan and strategy to meet and exceed revenue goals
• Develop and implement digital sales strategy
• Identify, cultivate and solicit business support, including via new digital opportunities, challenge grants, and sponsorships
• Take a proactive approach to pursue and develop new clients, to include 4 cold calls per week
• Recommend and implement new initiatives for sales growth
• Seek new corporate support through community outreach and networking
Maintain client base
• Build strong relationships with client base through excellent stewardship and communication
• Pursue renewal of contracts prior to contract end dates
• Undertake collection efforts on past due accounts
• Ensure consistent, excellent customer service and responsiveness
Manage traffic spots
• Write, approve, and edit copy, ensuring that station is compliant with FCC regulations
• Ensure all orders are properly entered, contracted scheduled, and billed
In-kind/trade donations & station sponsorship
• Seek in-kind and trade donations for station operations and maintenance
• Collaborate with station departments to develop plans for sponsorship of events
• Secure sponsorship of station events
• Solicit challenge grants and thank you gifts for Radiothon
• Develop and implement written strategy to increase per Radiothon challenge grant total, including pursing alternative strategies such as matching grants
• Provide consistent, detailed, and accurate financial reporting; including monthly dashboard and projections to ensure accountability
Station and Community Involvement
• Maintain strong awareness of history, content, and activities to best tell KRCL’s story and make a compelling case for corporate support
• Represent the station at business and community events to foster prospects
• Attend station events to raise profile with sponsors, donors, board, and community
• Manage electronic files on network and drives
• Manage electronic records of all marketing collateral, contracts, and copy
Other responsibilities as needed
Background & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or communication &/or equivalent experience
• (1) year sales experience, successful track record of meeting and exceeding sales goals
• Strong interest and understanding of KRCL’s programming and mission, with the ability to communicate this passion to prospects
• An entrepreneurial spirit and ability to face rejection
• Excellent communication skills (verbal, written), ability to think critically
• Ability to network and build relationships effectively
• A high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to collaborate and resolve conflicts
• Ability to build relationships with station stakeholders
• Experience with using social media platforms and web for sales and marketing
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and CRM software such as Marketron
• Strong attention to detail, time management, research and organizational skills
• Requires occasional night and weekend availability, as required by station events
Where to Send Resume/Letter: Please send cover letter, resume, 3 references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
ReSource Reporter/Producer, WMMT, Whitesburg, KY
Full-Time 2 year Position: Reports to the WMMT Station Manager and Ohio Valley ReSource Managing Editor
WMMT, the non-commercial, community radio station of Appalshop in Whitesburg, Kentucky, seeks a News Reporter/Producer to take part in the tri-state Ohio Valley ReSource regional journalism collaborative.
On air since 1985, WMMT’s mission is to be a 24-hour voice of mountain people’s music, culture, and social issues, to provide broadcast space for creative expression and community involvement in radio making, and to be an active participant in discussion of public policy that will benefit coalfield communities and the Appalachian region as a whole. Appalshop is a nationally recognized multi-disciplinary arts and education center which began as a film training program in the coalfields in 1969.
The Ohio Valley ReSource is a regional journalism collaborative reporting on economic and social change in Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. The ReSource operates as a remote newsroom, as it is made up of a managing editor and data/graphics journalist at Louisville Public Media, as well as a reporter at each of the other six public media outlets in the collaborative, including this position at WMMT.
75% of the the Reporter/Producer’s time will be dedicated to working remotely with the Ohio Valley ReSource to report and produce short, highly produced feature stories for broadcast and web, as well as occasional quick-turnaround pieces.
The other 25% of time will be spent working with WMMT Public Affairs staff to produce audio content for the station’s public affairs programming, which focuses on regional history and heritage, arts and culture, health, environmental issues, the economy, and prison justice. The Reporter/Producer will be part of the Making Connections News team, a special initiative producing and distributing stories about regional economic transition and revitalization efforts.
- Work with the Ohio Valley ReSource team to report and produce 2-7 minute sound-rich audio features and accompanying web articles for broadcast and posting by Ohio Valley ReSource stations.
- Follow news relating to the economy and economic revitalization in central Appalachia, and produce features and spot news pieces as appropriate, for Ohio Valley ReSource and WMMT.
- Partner with the Public Affairs & Making Connections News Directors, to plan and produce Mountain News & World Report(MN/WR), WMMT’s bi-weekly half hour news magazine.
- With Public Affairs Director, assist in the coordination of WMMT’s Mountain Talk schedule, production and posting (two weekly 1-hour slots reserved for longform interview shows and community affairs programming).
- Assist staff &/or volunteer producers on their radio production work as needed.
- Seek out additional regional and national outlets for broadcast of completed stories.
- Assist with digital workflow, including web and social media posts.
- Attend and participate in all general WMMT staff meetings.
- Assist with WMMT spring and fall fund drives.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Participate in Appalshop’s internal management and governance.
Appalshop is an equal opportunity employer, and its employment policies and practices are applicable to all employees without regard to race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, creed, disability or national origin.
- 1+ years journalism/news production experience
- Radio/audio production experience preferred, ideally with public or community radio
- Excellent writing & editing skills
- Knowledge of and passion for community radio, WMMT’s mission, and how we use radio to achieve our mission
- Knowledge of the central Appalachian region and the issues facing the people and the land preferred
- Ability to work & thrive in a collaborative environment
- Flexibility & a sense of humor
The WMMT Reporter/Producer is a full-time salaried position ($32,000), with full health, dental, and life insurance paid by employer; and access to 403b retirement plan.
Send introductory letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed beginning July 15 with the goal of hiring by mid-August.
Station Manager, WYCE, Grand Rapids, MI
|Job Title||Station Manager|
|City/State||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||0-2 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letter||Submit resumes with cover letters to email@example.com with “WYCE Station Manager” in the subject line, or mail to 711 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.|
|Deadline||July 15, 2018|
Job Description/Information: Grand Rapids Community Media Center (CMC) is seeking a collaborative, innovative and energetic individual to serve as Station Manager for WYCE, 88.1 FM – a 10,000 watt community radio station serving West Michigan. WYCE is a listener supported, volunteer programmed, independent radio station offering an eclectic music format, and also serving the local nonprofit community.
WYCE is part of CMC, a nonprofit media organization which includes public-access television stations GRTV and LiveWire, the historic venue Wealthy Theatre, the local online news platform The Rapidian, and IT Services for nonprofits.
In addition to being a welcoming and engaging leader at CMC’s radio station WYCE, 88.1 FM, the station manager will need an ability to initiate innovative collaborations, as well as the business skills to ensure fiscal stability for the preservations of this community resource. The successful Radio Station Manager candidate will possess a passion for working collaboratively within this community as well as perform as a genuine and engaged team member with leaders in CMC’s other media program platforms.
Full job description at www.grcmc.org/jobs.
• Oversee and shape all station programming and operations, including financial, legal and technical, for 10,000 watt non-commercial radio station
• Manage and train radio station staff, as well as develop training tools and maximize effective engagement and use of a team of more than 100 volunteer programmers
• Maintain and grow community visibility and support through programming, special events and promotions (including on air, web, print and station activities), and integrate new technology and media applications into radio station services
• Serve as a public outreach agent of CMC’s WYCE
• Help establish and oversee financial budget and accounting for radio station operations
• Help initiate, design and implement fund development strategies (underwriting, fund drives, major gifts, project grants), in coordination with fund development staff, radio station staff and volunteers
• Oversee all radio station underwriting by creating partnerships with local organizations and businesses, manage finances and invoicing, etc., to fulfill station goals
• Engage the station programming in collaborative activities with other CMC departments, and Grand Rapids area community organizations
• Direct and monitor technical operations, including maintenance of equipment and facilities
• Ensure legal compliance in all station operations matters, such as FCC regulations, simulcast/broadcast regulations, copyright and licensing issues
• Active participation with the overall CMC management team
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships
• Experience and connections in working with varied organizations and communities
• Experience in management of radio station operations, and leading a staff team
• Passion for grass-roots, community-based endeavors
• Excellent writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills
• Sufficient technical knowledge to oversee operational broadcast needs
• Ability to understand and insure necessary regulatory compliances
This is a fulltime position. Salary DOQ. Health, dental, vacation benefits.
Deadline: July 15, 2018
Underwriting Specialist, KZUM, Lincoln, NE
|Job Title||Underwriting Specialist|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||0-2 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Deadline||until position is filled|
Sunrise Communications Mission and History: For 40 years, Sunrise Communications has operated KZUM, a community-supported nonprofit radio station in Lincoln. Powered by almost 100 volunteers from widely varied backgrounds who range in age from 20 to 85, KZUM is the most diverse and community-minded media outlet in Lincoln. Our organization’s mission is educating and building community through broadcast media, with diverse and independent voices that enrich the perspectives of our audiences. KZUM works to carry out this mission through community engagement, on air programming and unique business partnerships. The Underwriting Specialist will play a critical role in realizing our goals. Position Details: Full Time at 40 hours a week Base Salary and commission Reports to the General Manager Benefits: Paid holidays, personal and vacation days.