Current Job Openings
Project Manager, NFCB
The National Federation of Community Broadcasters (NFCB) is seeking a Project Manager for its Community Counts Initiative. The Project Manager will manage logistics, data collection, communication, and aid with producing interim and final grant reporting over an 18 month period beginning in September 2018.
Send a cover letter and resume to Sally Kane at email@example.com. Application deadline is August 31, 2018.
Membership Coordinator, KGNU, Boulder, CO
KGNU, an award winning 40 year old community radio station serving Boulder, Denver and the Colorado Front Range, seeks an energetic, committed, highly organized, and extraordinarily personable Membership Coordinator.
The Membership Coordinator forms part of our development team, serving under the general supervision of the Community Development Director, reporting to the Station Manager upon request, and works with a paid staff of eight, more than 300 volunteers, and is responsible for implementing and overseeing the activities of the Membership Department, which provides 60-70 percent of the station’s annual operating income.
The Membership Coordinator focuses on membership retention, cultivation, and growth, identifying prospects for new member acquisition to meet annual revenue goals for the membership program and assists with formulating analysis and proposals for the strategic growth of the program.
- Oversee all on air membership campaigns: sets up systems, provides forms, guidance, trains and organizes volunteers to take donor information during four annual membership drives.
- Coordinate, plan and implement all on-air membership campaigns (x4) in cooperation with station staff.
- Assist the communications team in developing effective themes and messaging for all on-air fundraising drives, promos, web, social media, direct mail campaigns, etc.
- Write pitch points and script materials
- Manage the Sustainer of Local Radio (SOLR monthly giving) program: proactively collect current credit card information; process annual premiums, send anniversary notices and other notification letters/emails; make changes to donor giving as requested
- Manage all direct mail campaigns, enlisting volunteer help as needed.
- Oversee writing and mailing of thank-you letters, membership cards and tax receipts for all gifts made to KGNU
- Track inventory, order and mail thank-you gifts related to fundraising
- Assist with prospect research, cultivation, solicitation, and acquisition of contributions from individuals, businesses and organizations
- Assist with expanding the Member Benefits Program
- Assist with developing effective outreach strategies to increase membership
- Maintain the membership database (MemSys), tracking 5000-plus members/contributors, producing and analyzing regular reports, daily data entry, maintaining the integrity and security of the database and PCI compliance.
- Create and update member and donor history; assure donor confidentiality; proactively create regular reports and provide analysis
- Gather data, analyze cost and labor efficiencies and recommend improvements in membership procedures
- Assess all campaign results based on acquired data
- Use comprehensive database analysis to determine key opportunities for targeted fundraising success
- Coordinate volunteer front desk receptionists, assist visitors to the station and ensure that listener-member complaints, suggestions and compliments are received and forwarded to relevant staff.
- Train and schedule a wide variety of volunteers to assist the membership department, front desk and general office tasks
- Assist with events as needed
- Write and communicate volunteer job descriptions
- Track all incoming revenue arriving to the station, marking account numbers, preparing weekly deposits and maintaining all records, running/updating credit cards, setting up and cancelling Automatic Fund Transfers, batch reports, etc.
- Serve on committees as recommended by the Station Manager
- Additional duties may be assigned by the Station Manager.
Submissions should be made by email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org and directed to the KGNU Search Committee. Application Deadline: August 16, 2018
Underwriting Specialist, KZUM, Lincoln, NE
|Job Title||Underwriting Specialist|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||0-2 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letteremail@example.com|
|Deadline||until position is filled|
Sunrise Communications Mission and History: For 40 years, Sunrise Communications has operated KZUM, a community-supported nonprofit radio station in Lincoln. Powered by almost 100 volunteers from widely varied backgrounds who range in age from 20 to 85, KZUM is the most diverse and community-minded media outlet in Lincoln. Our organization’s mission is educating and building community through broadcast media, with diverse and independent voices that enrich the perspectives of our audiences. KZUM works to carry out this mission through community engagement, on air programming and unique business partnerships. The Underwriting Specialist will play a critical role in realizing our goals. Position Details: Full Time at 40 hours a week Base Salary and commission Reports to the General Manager Benefits: Paid holidays, personal and vacation days.
General Manager, KPFT, Houston, TX
|Job Title||General Manager – KPFT (Pacifica)|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||5-10 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
The General Manager is responsible and accountable for overall administration, personnel, programming, financing technical operations, and public relations of the station. Working in collaboration with the largely volunteer staff, the Local Station Board, volunteers and the community, the General Manager is responsible for monitoring progress against goals by analyzing monthly results, developing periodic forecasts and pipelines, providing progress reports, and ensuring accurate tracking and follow-up on each initiative.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelors in broadcasting, business or similar education preferred
• 5+ years of management required, 5+ years of radio station management preferred
Reports To: Pacifica Foundation Executive Director
Collaborates With: Local Station Board
Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
• Supervise all staff, paid and unpaid, through regular meetings and reviews (paid staff), attending contract negotiations, and handling grievances. Follow all Pacifica procedures, and State and Federal laws, regarding employment processing, recruitment and selection, hiring, termination and other personnel actions and follow the Pacifica Foundation employment policies and procedures.
• Ensure membership and staff lists are up to date and include at least name, address, phone number, email address, and emergency contact information (staff).
• Report to the Pacifica National Board (PNB) quarterly on the status of diversity of station staffing, programming and audience (data permitting) within the radio station areas.
• Ensure all fund drives are organized, publicized, staffed, and premiums are sent out in a timely manner.
• Serve as a non-voting member of the Local Station Board, attending all meetings.
• Maintain compliance through completing necessary public filed reports, annual CPB station activity surveys, FCC license renewal applications, EEO mandates, charity registration, OSHA regulations, or other necessary local, state, and federal filings.
• Manage media relations for the station and represent KPFT and Pacifica at public forums.
• Ensure an active social media presence and functioning website for the station.
• Work with Local Elections Supervisor on implementing Pacifica governance election procedures and policies. Communicate and enforce Fair Campaign Provisions to both paid and unpaid staff. Provide office facilities to Local Elections Supervisor.
• Improve gross and net income through quality programming, devising and implementing a plan for fundraising in and outside of the station, budget management, and compliance with Pacifica National Board and Pacifica National Office policies and practices.
• Prepare a draft of the station’s annual budget, as well as reports for revenue and expenses, to present to the KPFT Finance Committee, Local Station Board and the Pacifica National Board.
• Ensure excellent programming that generates listener support, meets community needs, and fulfills the mission of KPFT and the Pacifica Foundation, as well as complies with all relevant foundation policies, requirements, and state and federal laws.
• Oversee technical broadcast operations and program content, delivery, format, and publication of the schedule.
• Select a Program Director from a pool of candidates provided by the Local Station Board, supervise the chosen Program Director to ensure continual improvement in programming content, and, together, present an annual program report to the Executive Director, Local Station Board, and Pacifica National Board.
• Broadcast a one-hour, monthly report to the listeners with at least half the time allotted for call-ins.
• Ensure transmitter function and compliance with all necessary local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
• Ensure maintenance of physical space and equipment.
• Ensure that public safety measures are in place at the station for paid and unpaid staff, volunteers, and visitors.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, & Other Characteristics (KASOCs):
• Knowledge of the development process for non-profit organizations
• Ability to travel within the Greater Houston area on a regular basis
• Ability to manage multiple changing priorities
• Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
• Strong management and leadership skills
• Strong communication skills (written and oral)
• Strong media industry skills (programming, marketing, fund raising, etc.)
Where to Send Resume/Letter: email@example.com
Program Director, WPFW, Washington, DC
|Job Title||PROGRAM DIRECTOR|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||2-5 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letter||TO APPLY: Email resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to: MAScttee@gmail.com|
|Deadline||Open Until Filled|
Job Description/Information: WPFW seeks a Program Director who is serious about innovative, high-quality, community-based programming to provide leadership and vision to growing station.
WPFW 89.3 FM in Washington, D.C., was established in 1977 as a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station. It is one of five stations of the Pacifica Network. WPFW is a community radio station in the nation’s seventh-largest market, providing a distinctive media voice to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and beyond. The station has earned a reputation among its listeners as a trusted progressive voice in the African-American community and across the District, Maryland and Virginia’s (DMV) broadly diverse spectrum of political, cultural and social groups, interests, and popular movements.
The Program Director (PD) reports to the General Manager (GM) and works collaboratively with other members of the management team and the Local Station Board (LSB), and in concert with the Pacifica Network. The basic role of the PD is to produce and manage quality programming from a progressive perspective, i.e., a program schedule that is consistent with the station’s sound, promotes the Pacifica mission as well as that of the station, and serves the needs and interests of its various audiences as identified by the LSB. A PD at WPFW will have a passion for promoting the various movements and cultures of working people, especially those of the demographic groups and geographic areas included in the station’s listening area; and for combining such cultures and movements through programming.
The PD provides direct supervision to over 100 volunteer programmers and producers. The PD is expected to increase the membership of the station through good management skills and decision-making. The PD will participate in weekly management team meetings.
The PD must be aware of the public’s interest in order to create programming that expands WPFW’s visibility in the community and increases our membership base.
Duties and Responsibilities
WPFW seeks a PD to provide leadership and vision, who is serious about innovative, high-quality, community-based programming
1. Works collaboratively with the LSB and its Programming Committee, as well as the Community Advisory Board (CAB) and under the direction of the GM, to ensure that station programming is responsive to the diverse needs of listeners and communities served by the station and otherwise meets the objectives of Pacifica’s and WPFW’s joint mission.
2. Ensures that station programming is responsive to the diverse needs of listeners and communities served by the station and otherwise meets the objectives of Pacifica’s and WPFW’s joint mission.
3. Works collaboratively with the LSB and its Programming Committee, as well as the CAB, and under the direction of the GM, to develop and implement fair, collaborative and respectful systems for evaluating existing and new programs.
4. Stays up to date on audience research protocols and audience-building strategies.
5. Reviews and approves program proposals.
6. Coordinates programming with Pacifica National and other Pacifica stations and affiliates where appropriate.
7. Supervises work of News, Public Affairs and Cultural Affairs departments and prepare periodic and annual job performance evaluations of department heads.
8. Facilitates coaching and training of programmers, volunteers and interns/trainees.
9. Together with GM, ensures program content complies with all necessary Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and Pacifica rules and regulations.
10. Maintains publication of programming schedules on the station’s web sites and in other appropriate venues and media.
11. As part of the management team:
a. Works closely with development personnel and the GM in the development of strategies and plans for on-air fundraising, in collaboration with staff to position WPFW program services for philanthropic support.
b. Oversees special production projects including remote and on-location recording activity.
c. Participates in budget preparation for programming area and the station overall.
d. Represents the station at various public forums.
e. Participates in the evaluation and approval of all premiums offered by the station.
f. Meets with donors as needed.
12. Provides a monthly programming report to the GM, LSB and CAB and, attends meetings when requested.
13. Participates in investigating and resolving staff and volunteer grievances as needed, in conjunction with the union when appropriate.
14. Works to achieve compromise among sharply differing points of view and to motivate employees and volunteers.
15. Other assignments as required.
Have an informed interest in local, national and international news and public affairs from the point of view of the working class and the victims of racism, white supremacy and all forms of discrimination.
Have a thorough knowledge and appreciation for jazz and the music and cultural heritage of communities served by the station; and have an interest in, and the ability to combine both music, news and public affairs.
1. Demonstrates commitment to the Pacifica and WPFW Missions.
2. Three to five years of media management experience, preferably in public broadcasting or related media.
3. BS/BA degree preferably in public broadcasting and management, or commensurate experience in a related field.
4. Be able to work a flexible schedule and be relied upon to respond in case of station emergency.
5. Have substantial and up-to-date knowledge/experience of radio and media research tools, and developing and/or utilizing new and emerging media platforms.
6. Experience with remote and location production and recording activity.
7. Strong computer skills.
8. Exceptional organizational skills.
9. Must have exceptional knowledge of social media platforms.
This is a full-time, exempt and non-union position. Salary to be negotiated. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, disability; vacations and sick days (upon completion of introductory status).
Where to Send Resume/Letter: TO APPLY: Email resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to:MAScttee@gmail.com
Deadline: Open Until Filled