Current Job Openings
All Things Considered Host & Journalist, KRTS, Marfa, TX
Marfa Public Radio, an award-winning NPR affiliate station in Marfa, TX, seeks an All Things Considered host to join our team. The All Things Considered host writes and delivers on-air newscasts and other show elements within the body of All Things Considered. The host is also responsible for the delivery of underwrites, weather and other station announcements within scheduled breaks. This position works closely with the Morning Edition host.
The All Things Considered host must be a responsible, productive, and enterprising individual possessing a passion for how global, national, and regional issues connect to the Marfa Public Radio listening area.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
2 years experience of on-air hosting experience preferred.
Engaging and professional on-air presence and comfort with hosting a live program.
Demonstrated history of maintaining high journalistic standards of objectivity, balance, and fairness.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Proven ability to consistently work well with others.
Ability to meet deadlines.
Efficient at multitasking.
Strong broadcast writing and reporting skills.
NPR quality anchoring and voicing skills
Ability to produce NPR quality features and spot news.
Ability to operate digital audio broadcast equipment, including ENCO and similar systems.
Experience operating a broadcast board.
Web posting experience.
Experience with Adobe Audition or other digital audio editing software preferred.
Bilingual in Spanish is preferred, but not required
This is a full-time position
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Corporate Support Account Manager, KRTS, Marfa, TX
Marfa Public Radio is looking for an experienced media salesperson to lead their Corporate Support department. Marfa Public Radio serves West Texas from Midland/Odessa to Marfa with NPR news and information along with an eclectic range of music programming. With a strong audience in West Texas, Marfa Public Radio enjoys a national reputation for excellence in journalism and is listened to worldwide on their stream.
Marfa Public Radio has handled Corporate Support internally for several years and has a steady
group of sponsors. The addition of this position represents a desire for growth in this under
maximized revenue-generating area. The qualified person will have strong connections in the
business and non-profit communities in the Permian Basin. The position requires strong
communication skills, lots of initiative, and the ability to work remotely from home or
In this consultative sales role, you will make cold calls to decision-makers at local businesses, meet with them to understand their marketing needs and develop proposals that offer marketing solutions to help them grow their businesses. This is a full life cycle sales position in that you will prospect, conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals, close the deal, write copy and service the account. While managing an account list you will also focus on developing new business.
• Media sales experience is high on our list. 3+ years is what we are looking for. Sales in broadcast and digital is preferred.
• Passion for Marfa Public Radio and West Texas Public Radio and all that the station offers. We are looking for a BIG fan! Knowledge about the programming is beneficial.
• Smart – We are looking for someone who “gets it” and is able to think strategically to achieve station, client and personal goals.
• Relationship building – establishing relationships face-to-face and virtually to achieve business relationships that are credible and trustworthy.
• Communication skills – thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communications skills. Can you create credible and professional visual presentations and proposals?
• Market research – the ability to gather market data and use it appropriately to sell multiple platforms.
• New business development – can you secure new business by using a disciplined sales process?
• Time and resource management skills – prioritize effectively to achieve/exceed goals.
• A collaborative personality. We are looking for a team member who values communicating with management and peers for feedback/insight.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or related field is preferred.
Email a letter explaining your interest and how your skills are aligned to this position and your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Range: 50,000-60,000
Deadline: March 31, 2021
News Director/Morning Edition Host, KSJD, Cortez, CO
KSJD’s mission is to inform, entertain, and empower the people of the Four Corners region through arts, culture, and public media service.
KSJD Community Radio in Cortez, CO is seeking a full-time News Director to be the local host of NPR’s Morning Edition from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on weekdays and to produce local news and interviews for broadcast and web.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
Journalism experience and/or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Experience producing broadcast and online news media
On-air and live radio interviewing experience
Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Familiarity and interest in covering local news and events
Desire to grow news department that covers and collaborates with partner outlets on local, regional, and statewide news
Knowledge of and/or interest in issues relating to the rural Intermountain West
Occasional event work at our in-house community theatre to host forums, Q&A’s, etc.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described below are representative of those an employeewould encounter while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is generally inside in a quiet environment. Some tasks will take place outdoors.
Physical demands include the following:
Ability to lift or move up to 20 pounds with an occasional need to lift up to 50 pounds.
Use of computer keyboard and telephone unassisted.
Effective verbal and hearing abilities.
Vision ability including: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
Ability to drive a motor vehicle for travel to training, field interviews, meetings, and events.
Ability to sit, use hands for computer and office duties, stand for presentations.
Ability to navigate multiple floors using stairwells.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. For best consideration, apply by December 31, 2020.
To apply, please submit the following to executive director Wynn Jones at email@example.com:
1. Cover letter demonstrating your passion for this role and that addresses the following question:
As News Director, what do you see as public media’s role in a rural community over the next 3-5 years?
3. At least three professional references
4. Links to at least two news stories or interviews you worked on, along with descriptions detailing your role in the piece (This may be included as a separate document in your application materials)
Community Radio Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks diversity of the workforce.
Deadline December 31 for first consideration, open until filled
Membership Director, WXPR, Rhinelander, WI
WXPR Public Radio is seeking creative, meticulous, and adventurous candidates for the position of Membership Director.
The Membership Director will provide strategic leadership and planning to
develop and implement procedures and practices that will successfully seek and increase individual gifts and awareness of WXPR. This will be done through best practices including but not limited to direct contact solicitations, membership drives, direct mail, on-air campaigns social media marketing and more.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission and value of public media. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and collaborative self-starter with superior communication and interpersonal skills. This is a full-time exempt position.
WXPR is an independent, community-licensed public radio station founded in 1983 and operated by White Pine Community Broadcasting, Inc. From studios in downtown Rhinelander, Wisconsin, WXPR can be heard in northern and central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Scores of volunteer on-air hosts produce and deliver 70 hours of unique music programming per week. In addition, WXPR is an NPR affiliate that airs national news and produces its own local news. WXPR aims to inform, entertain and engage the community with music and information.
Develop and manage strategies that bring in additional members, move
members up in donation level, and show steady increase in membership
Ensure member communications are timely and professional
Manage member database software by ensuring accuracy and regular
maintenance of membership database, as well as end of month reporting,
thank you correspondence, accounts payable, and bank deposits in
cooperation with the Finance Director and as required by financial auditors
Set annual membership goals and monthly income projections
Plan and manage three to four membership drives per year
Follow best practices and new trends in membership drives
Oversee design and production of WXPR’s marketing materials including
newsletters, banners, posters, program guides, thank you gifts and other
Maintain and update the station website www.WXPR.org and social media accounts
Work with other staff members and board members to produce fundraising and promotional events
Cohost pledge drive programs
All other duties as apparent or as assigned by general manager
Education or experience in fundraising
Public radio listener
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to maintain positive, professional, and friendly relationships with
community members and partners
Strong computer database and design skills-knowledge of Adobe Creative
Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently on complex
Ability to adhere to deadlines
Meticulous attention to detail
A high degree of confidentiality
Highly organized and self-motivated team player who is professional,
creative, and takes ownership of responsibilities
Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please send a cover letter and resume by to WXPR General Manager Jessie Dick: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please detail how you heard about the job. Pay will be commensurate with experience. The position will remain open until filled.
Content Director, KSFR, Santa Fe, NM
The Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation—operator of KSFR, a public radio station broadcasting from Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico’s capital city—seeks to hire its first Content Director to bring high-quality local news and community media programming to listeners on multiple platforms. The Content Director is responsible for the vision, strategic development, and production of all content and its distribution on KSFR’s FM broadcast and digital platforms with the goal of engaging, retaining, growing, and diversifying KSFR’s audience in Northern New Mexico. The Content Director manages the creation and direction of KSFR’s locally-focused news, public affairs, and music content, as well as recruitment and training of volunteer, part-time, and full-time media producers.
Specific Duties Include:
• Lead a team of journalists and producers in creating meaningful and informative content for digital and broadcast platforms with a focus on local concerns and issues.
• Establish relationships with the diverse communities KSFR serves and create a plan to listen to community needs in order to inform content creation and engagement strategy.
• Reach new audiences through a variety of platforms with the goals of both increasing audience size and individual engagement with KSFR. Analyze audience data, trends and user habits to develop and evolve content and use of platforms.
• Design and implement a consistent brand identity over broadcast and digital platforms.
• Maintain firewall between editorial content creation and other departments and funders.
• Develop collaborations with independent producers, arts organizations, and civic organizations to produce innovative local content that aligns with KSFR’s core mission.
• Manage content production budget and provide direction for public and private grant requests and other special projects.
• Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteer producers.
• Ensure that all content meets high standards for journalistic ethics and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
• Participate in KSFR’s on-air and digital fundraising activities.
• Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervise all volunteer, part-time, and full-time producers. Supervise News Department and News Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Programming experience with a successful news-formatted public or community radio station.
• Strong knowledge of digital marketing, web analytics, digital media and audio production.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and troubleshoot new technologies and web-based tools.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, select, train, and supervise personnel.
• Understanding of local issues of importance in Northern New Mexico.
• Highly developed organizational, interpersonal communications, and time management skills.
• Experience and comfort with speaking on-air as needed.
• Multilingual skills are strongly preferred but not a prerequisite.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in journalism, media or content creation, including managing journalists or producers.
• Excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent administrative and managerial skills.
• Extensive experience in public or community media. Previous experience in a nonprofit setting preferred.
• Experience in audio production, digital media production, and/or digital publishing. Proficiency in Adobe Audition is preferred.
• Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24-7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
Position open until filled.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).
Send resume and cover letter to:
Deadline Open Until Filled
Managing Producer, BirdNote, Seattle, WA
BirdNote seeks a skilled Managing Producer (MP) who has proven experience managing innovative media programming for a wide range of audiences on radio and multimedia platforms.
This position is key to BirdNote’s mission: to create sound-rich stories in a variety of formats that will inspire a growing audience to care about birds and the natural world. The MP will have a primary role in helping the organization reach its strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audio-listening audience, while ramping up BirdNote’s digital production to meet the demands of mobile consumers.
The MP will oversee production of the daily show, provide program direction, and manage an experienced production team with an assistant producer and 8-10 professional contractors. The MP will ensure that the distribution of programs meets deadlines and goals across multiple channels on public radio and digital media.
The Managing Producer will:
• Have primary production responsibility and decision making for the BirdNote two-minute daily program, meeting monthly deadlines and fostering a collaborative team environment that encourages feedback and review of audience data to refine content.
• Manage and work in concert with a with an experienced and growing team that includes production staff, up to 10 contractors, including professional writers, editors, producers and narrators, science advisors, and other staff, as required.
• Direct and manage new content, which includes actively pursuing collaborations with skilled independent producers for longer/shorter broadcast stories, extended podcasts and some video production; collaborate with staff and contractors on related content under BirdNote’s brand.
• Set production goals and targets to align with BirdNote’s strategic goals and measure against results.
• Ensure an audience/customer focus with data-driven analytics and metrics, including target audiences defined for growth and expansion.
• Foster an expanding digital focus that includes use of social media tools to advance BirdNote’s audience goals, following standards and industry best practices.
• Ensure that all facets of programming adhere to and advance BirdNote’s mission, strategic goals, business strategies, standards of quality, and scientific accuracy.
Approximately 37% of MP’s time will be devoted to the two-minute daily shows, 38% to the development of new content and 25% to team collaboration, management, and administration.
• BA or BS in journalism, communications, or related field; or equivalent experience;
• Proven experience in leadership, managing staff, and building an effective team;
• 3-5 year’s experience producing on-air and digital content with strong storytelling skills;
• 1-2 years of proven success developing material in multiple formats across multiple platforms;
• Knowledge of and experience with digital and social media;
• Experience and enthusiasm for building audiences and relationships with external stakeholders;
• Positive, self-motivated, responsible, results-oriented – a team player;
• Excellent written and interpersonal communications.
• Interest in and knowledge of birds and nature;
• Passion to help BirdNote realize strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audience;
• Enthusiasm to work with a dedicated team that places high value on quality, a work ethic that ensures the job is done well and on time, and willingness to go beyond the call of duty when opportunities arise;
• Ability to experiment and learn from experience;
• A collaborative spirit and a good sense of humor;
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours (with advance notice);
• Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
Hire contingent upon passing a background check.
Salary range: $65,000 – $68,000 FT, DOE
Benefits: includes a generous benefit package including a $5,000 moving/housing allowance, paid time off, medical, dental, disability and life plans, plus retirement.
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter that explains how your skills, experience and interests align with this position to email@example.com. Include your salary requirements and at least 3 links to sample audio stories.
Location: Seattle, WA
BirdNote staff and contractors work virtually from home and communicate electronically on a regular basis, coming together for meetings and planning via Skype, BlueJeans, and Seattle-based coffee houses.
BirdNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Submit a Listing