Current Job Openings
General Manager, KPFT, Houston, TX
The General Manager is responsible and accountable for overall administration, personnel, programming, finance, technical operations, and public relations of the station. Working in collaboration with the largely volunteer staff, the Local Station Board, volunteers and the community, the General Manager is responsible for monitoring progress against goals by analyzing monthly results, developing periodic forecasts and pipelines, providing progress reports, and ensuring accurate tracking and follow-up on each initiative.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelors in broadcasting, business or similar education preferred
• 5+ years of management required, 5+ years of radio station management preferred Reports To: Pacifica Foundation Executive Director
Collaborates With: Local Station Board
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
• Supervise all staff, paid and unpaid, through regular meetings and reviews (paid staff), attending contract negotiations, and handling grievances. Follow all Pacifica procedures, and State and Federal laws, regarding employment processing, recruitment and selection, hiring, termination and other personnel actions and follow the Pacifica Foundation employment policies and procedures.
• Ensure membership and staff lists are up to date and include at least name, address, phone number, email address, and emergency contact information (staff).
• Report to the Pacifica National Board (PNB) quarterly on the status of diversity of station staffing, programming and audience (data permitting) within the radio station areas.
• Ensure all fund drives are organized, publicized, staffed, and premiums are sent out in a timely manner.
• Serve as a non-voting member of the Local Station Board, attending all meetings.
• Maintain compliance through completing necessary public filed reports, annual CPB station activity surveys, FCC license renewal applications, EEO mandates, charity registration, OSHA regulations, or other necessary local, state, and federal filings.
• Manage media relations for the station and represent KPFT and Pacifica at public forums.
• Ensure an active social media presence and functioning website for the station.
• Work with Local Elections Supervisor on implementing Pacifica governance election procedures and policies. Communicate and enforce Fair Campaign Provisions to both paid and unpaid staff. Provide office facilities to Local Elections Supervisor.
• Improve gross and net income through quality programming, devising and implementing a plan for fundraising in and outside of the station, budget management, and compliance with Pacifica National Board and Pacifica National Office policies and practices. KPFT GM – Job Description General Manager – Pacifica Radio
• Prepare a draft of the station’s annual budget, as well as reports for revenue and expenses, to present to the KPFT Finance Committee, Local Station Board and the Pacifica National Board.
• Ensure excellent programming that generates listener support, meets community needs, and fulfills the mission of KPFT and the Pacifica Foundation, as well as complies with all relevant foundation policies, requirements, and state and federal laws.
• Oversee technical broadcast operations and program content, delivery, format, and publication of the schedule.
• Select a Program Director from a pool of candidates provided by the Local Station Board, supervise the chosen Program Director to ensure continual improvement in programming content, and, together, present an annual program report to the Executive Director, Local Station Board, and Pacifica National Board.
• Broadcast a one-hour, monthly report to the listeners with at least half the time allotted for call-ins.
• Ensure transmitter function and compliance with all necessary local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
• Ensure maintenance of physical space and equipment.
• Ensure that public safety measures are in place at the station for paid and unpaid staff, volunteers, and visitors.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, & Other Characteristics (KASOCs):
• Knowledge of the development process for non-profit organizations
• Ability to travel within the Greater Houston area on a regular basis
• Ability to manage multiple changing priorities
• Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
• Strong management and leadership skills
• Strong communication skills (written and oral)
• Strong media industry skills (programming, marketing, fund raising, etc.)
Executive Director, CCTV (Cambridge Community Television), Cambridge, MA
Cambridge Community Television (“CCTV”) seeks an inspirational, talented, effective and visionary leader as its next Executive Director.
CCTV is a nationally recognized, award-winning community media center serving Cambridge, MA. Founded in 1988, CCTV is an independent nonprofit organization that provides access to media production equipment, computers, multimedia workshops, and program distribution on multiple platforms for Cambridge area businesses, organizations, and individuals. CCTV nurtures a strong, equitable and diverse community by providing tools and training to foster free speech, civic engagement, and creative expression while connecting people to collaboratively produce media that is responsive, relevant, and effective in a fast-changing technological environment. CCTV’s constituency covers the full diversity of this city. In collaboration with community organizations, residents, and City and school representatives, CCTV creates opportunities for under-resourced communities to participate fully in civic life.
CCTV is a well-managed organization with a profound capacity for innovative change. Under the current leadership, CCTV has become a national model for utilizing new technologies to build community. In 2020, CCTV received the Overall Excellence in Public Access Programming from the national Alliance for Community Media for the twelfth time. We are seeking a candidate with interest and experience in innovative communications and media technology initiatives, is resourceful, collaborative, entrepreneurial, a team player who takes responsibility, exemplifies integrity and celebrates diversity.
The anticipated employment starting date for this position is in January, 2021. Womxn and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The full job description and application instructions can be viewed and downloaded at: https://www.cctvcambridge.org/
Applications must be received by September 4th, 2020. All inquiries will be handled confidentially.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact: email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Deadline September 4, 2020
General Manager, KWVH-LP, Wimberley, TX
Wimberley Valley Radio (“KWVH”) seeks a knowledgeable and capable leader to oversee the entire radio operation of KWVH-LP.
This includes programming, news, development and fundraising, IT/engineering, marketing, financial management, administration, traffic and continuity, volunteers, compliance requirements to retain the broadcast license for KWVH-LP, and the overall promotion of the brand through on-air, online, traditional media, social media and the radio station website. The General Manager (GM) would also be responsible for fostering the positive organizational culture, listener growth, and financial viability of KWVH-LP Wimberley Valley Radio in accordance with KWVH’s mission.
The Wimberley Valley is an area nestled around two small towns (Wimberley and Woodcreek) in the Texas Hill Country about 45 minutes south of Austin. The area is known for tourism and has a small but vibrant arts community, including a number of singer-songwriters. Wimberley Independent School District is a highly rated school system with approximately 2,500 students. In addition, the area has a charter secondary school as well as 2-3 private schools.
Wimberley Valley Radio is an equal opportunity employer and does not practice or permit discrimination in any manner on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or disability.
Major Job Responsibilities:
Retain the broadcast license for KWVH-LP 94.3 FM, Wimberley Valley Radio
Oversee the entire radio operation of KWVH. This includes programming, news, development and fundraising, IT/engineering, marketing, financial management, administration, traffic and continuity, volunteers, and the overall promotion of the brand through on-air, online, traditional media, social media and the radio station website.
Manage the radio station’s three paid staff members, three contract staffers and over 50 volunteers
Prepare an annual operating budget and revenue plan for current year and manage it. In addition to that be working out ahead in planning two additional years revenue planning, operating needs and future growth plans.
Responsible for all aspects of fundraising: business underwriting, sports underwriting, major donor campaigns, pledge drives, sustaining memberships, community grants, online fundraising events such as Giving Tuesday and Amplify Austin, major grant writing, sales of radio station merchandise and radio station events
Event management and promotion events
Keep operations aligned to fulfill the mission of KWVH which is to entertain, inform and bring the Wimberley Valley community together.
Manage the KWVH radio app
Provide Wimberley with over 100 hours of live and local programming per week
Report to the president of Wimberley Valley Radio Board of Directors
Keep KWVH in compliance with all rules pertaining to not-for-profit and non-commercial broadcasting, diversity, EEO employment
Maintain the KWVH-LP public file
Is ultimately responsible for the short-term and long-term development of the KWVH brand.
Would be responsible for providing up to five hours per week of programming to KWVH.
Oversees the sports programming for all of Wimberley High School sports.
Responsible for providing reports required by broadcast and streaming copyrights, including ASCAP, BMI, Sound Exchange.
Manage the KWVH radio facility which includes the studios and offices at Old Kyle Road and the transmitter site.
Work closely with the Wimberley business community, the Wimberley Chamber of Commerce and the more than 80 non-profits by building solid business and working relationships with these groups
Forge positive relationships on both sides of the political aisle and keep the radio station as a conduit for everyone working together.
Previous experience successfully managing, programming, selling, fund-raising or development success in either a commercial or non-commercial media, preferably radio for at least three years.
A degree in radio/TV or mass communication / marketing is preferred
Experience in Quick Books, CRM, Sales Force, or development fundraising software.
Successfully managing or directing volunteers as well as paid staff.
Working with non-profit or for-profit boards
The position is salaried.The GM would receive two weeks of vacation time and eight holidays.
Annual Review by Board of Directors
Anticipated start date September 2020.
To apply, send a cover letter and resumé to:
Board President / Station Manager
Deadline August 28, 2020
Pandemic Grant Writer, KRTS, Marfa, TX (work from anywhere)
Are you or someone you know looking for a work from home opportunity? Marfa Public Radio seeks an experienced grant writer to manage and complete the station’s final suite of annual foundation applications for 2020. The station is looking for someone to bring energy to whatever month this is of the pandemic. Our station goals are relevance, impact, and the sanity of our staff.
This is a short term contract position.
This position can be done from any location.
Contract length: 3-6 months
Rate: $30-$50/hr depending on experience
We are dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff that promotes equity and inclusivity.
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in an email titled “Pandemic Grant Writer”.
Deadline August 21
Assistant General Manager, WRFI, Ithaca, NY
This is a position for an energetic, detail-oriented individual who has experience supervising volunteers and an understanding of broadcast operations, programming, production, fundraising, and compliance requirements. The Assistant General Manager (AGM) is a key contributor to fostering the positive organizational culture, programming, listener growth, and financial viability of WRFI and Ithaca Community Radio (ICR) in accordance with the ICR’s mission.
The Assistant General Manager (AGM) is a key contributor to fostering the development of WRFI’s programming, listenership, and financial health. The AGM will help further Ithaca Community Radio’s (ICR) mission, be an integral part of a positive organizational culture, build on the successes of the station’s first 8 years of operation, and take part in several exciting ongoing projects. The job offers an opportunity to take part in nearly every aspect of station management and operations.
The AGM reports to the General Manager (GM) and, in coordination with the GM, supervises paid staff (including the News Director and Program Coordinator) and station volunteers.
WRFI is committed to being an inclusive workplace and encourages applicants of all identities to apply, including all races, religions, colors, national origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, ages, and veteran and disability statuses.
WRFI is a volunteer-driven, community radio station for Ithaca and Watkins Glen, New York. We are a living wage employer and employ three part-time staff members. We broadcast a mix of local and syndicated, news, public affairs and music programming and are committed to airing local and underrepresented perspectives in keeping with the following values: peace, justice, sustainability, freedom of expression, cultural diversity, integrity and joy.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The AGM assists the General Manager to:
Manage the day-to-day operations of the station and ensure an in-person presence in the station;
Serve as a contact person, for staff, volunteers, and community members (email, SMS, and phone);
Recruit, coordinate, and train volunteers for on-air and off-air tasks, especially from underrepresented communities;
Ensure that every aspect of the WRFI’s operations are consistent with the principles of anti-racism, inclusion and equity;
Work with volunteers to develop the quantity and quality of WRFI’s programming; Serve as an active member of the Programming Advisory Board;
Manage finances: pay bills, deposit donations and other income, work with bookkeeper to reconcile accounts, manage donor database;
Manage scheduling and contracting for public service announcements (PSAs) and underwriting announcements in coordination with Program Director and General Manager;
Manage bulk fundraising and outreach campaigns, mailings, and emails;
Assist in the coordination and management of fundraising, fund drives, and other station activities;
Proactively cultivate community outreach opportunities with local businesses and organizations to further articulate WRFI’s mission, and to build collaborative relationships with these entities including the development of programming, PSAs, and underwriting contracts;
Participate in on-air fundraising, donor development, cultivation, and recognition;
Track, compile and update daily logs, FCC and EAS compliance filings, music license agreements and playlist reports, affiliation contracts, and grant disbursement agreements on deadline;
Compile and coordinate on-call, on-air, staff, compliance and volunteer schedules and calendars;
Ensure function and maintenance of broadcast equipment, facilities and transmitter sites, order needed supplies etc.;
Manage equipment inventories, loans, and scheduling of studio facilities;
Answer phones, emails and social media inquiries and forward to appropriate staff as needed;
Regularly post to station website and social media accounts;
Provide administrative support to the GM and fill-in for the GM in the event of their temporary absence.
Passion for community media;
Minimum of one year of an-air experience;
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and/or experience in radio, journalism, media, communications, arts, non-profit management, or a closely related field;
Ability to balance complex workload;
Experience working in a collaborative office environment with diverse volunteers, listeners, and community groups;
Effective organizational and communication skills;
Proficiency with Google Docs, and audio editing software;
Experience with other online tools such as Facebook, Instagram, Mail Chimp etc.;
Experience with bulk mail management.
Previous experience in community or public radio;
Experience with Mac and Linux (CentOS) operating systems, and radio automation software (Rivendell);
Experience with CiviCRM or other donor management platform;
Familiarity with the WRFI listening area and it’s communities;
Experience with WordPress, HTML, and CSS;
A demonstrated ability to learn new skills – especially technical ones.
Deadline Until filled
Membership Director, WXPR, Rhinelander, WI
WXPR Public Radio is seeking creative, meticulous, and adventurous candidates for the position of Membership Director.
The Membership Director will provide strategic leadership and planning to
develop and implement procedures and practices that will successfully seek and increase individual gifts and awareness of WXPR. This will be done through best practices including but not limited to direct contact solicitations, membership drives, direct mail, on-air campaigns social media marketing and more.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission and value of public media. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and collaborative self-starter with superior communication and interpersonal skills. This is a full-time exempt position.
WXPR is an independent, community-licensed public radio station founded in 1983 and operated by White Pine Community Broadcasting, Inc. From studios in downtown Rhinelander, Wisconsin, WXPR can be heard in northern and central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Scores of volunteer on-air hosts produce and deliver 70 hours of unique music programming per week. In addition, WXPR is an NPR affiliate that airs national news and produces its own local news. WXPR aims to inform, entertain and engage the community with music and information.
Develop and manage strategies that bring in additional members, move
members up in donation level, and show steady increase in membership
Ensure member communications are timely and professional
Manage member database software by ensuring accuracy and regular
maintenance of membership database, as well as end of month reporting,
thank you correspondence, accounts payable, and bank deposits in
cooperation with the Finance Director and as required by financial auditors
Set annual membership goals and monthly income projections
Plan and manage three to four membership drives per year
Follow best practices and new trends in membership drives
Oversee design and production of WXPR’s marketing materials including
newsletters, banners, posters, program guides, thank you gifts and other
Maintain and update the station website www.WXPR.org and social media accounts
Work with other staff members and board members to produce fundraising and promotional events
Cohost pledge drive programs
All other duties as apparent or as assigned by general manager
Education or experience in fundraising
Public radio listener
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to maintain positive, professional, and friendly relationships with
community members and partners
Strong computer database and design skills-knowledge of Adobe Creative
Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently on complex
Ability to adhere to deadlines
Meticulous attention to detail
A high degree of confidentiality
Highly organized and self-motivated team player who is professional,
creative, and takes ownership of responsibilities
Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please send a cover letter and resume by to WXPR General Manager Jessie Dick: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please detail how you heard about the job. Pay will be commensurate with experience. The position will remain open until filled.
Content Director, KSFR, Santa Fe, NM
The Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation—operator of KSFR, a public radio station broadcasting from Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico’s capital city—seeks to hire its first Content Director to bring high-quality local news and community media programming to listeners on multiple platforms. The Content Director is responsible for the vision, strategic development, and production of all content and its distribution on KSFR’s FM broadcast and digital platforms with the goal of engaging, retaining, growing, and diversifying KSFR’s audience in Northern New Mexico. The Content Director manages the creation and direction of KSFR’s locally-focused news, public affairs, and music content, as well as recruitment and training of volunteer, part-time, and full-time media producers.
Specific Duties Include:
• Lead a team of journalists and producers in creating meaningful and informative content for digital and broadcast platforms with a focus on local concerns and issues.
• Establish relationships with the diverse communities KSFR serves and create a plan to listen to community needs in order to inform content creation and engagement strategy.
• Reach new audiences through a variety of platforms with the goals of both increasing audience size and individual engagement with KSFR. Analyze audience data, trends and user habits to develop and evolve content and use of platforms.
• Design and implement a consistent brand identity over broadcast and digital platforms.
• Maintain firewall between editorial content creation and other departments and funders.
• Develop collaborations with independent producers, arts organizations, and civic organizations to produce innovative local content that aligns with KSFR’s core mission.
• Manage content production budget and provide direction for public and private grant requests and other special projects.
• Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteer producers.
• Ensure that all content meets high standards for journalistic ethics and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
• Participate in KSFR’s on-air and digital fundraising activities.
• Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervise all volunteer, part-time, and full-time producers. Supervise News Department and News Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Programming experience with a successful news-formatted public or community radio station.
• Strong knowledge of digital marketing, web analytics, digital media and audio production.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and troubleshoot new technologies and web-based tools.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, select, train, and supervise personnel.
• Understanding of local issues of importance in Northern New Mexico.
• Highly developed organizational, interpersonal communications, and time management skills.
• Experience and comfort with speaking on-air as needed.
• Multilingual skills are strongly preferred but not a prerequisite.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in journalism, media or content creation, including managing journalists or producers.
• Excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent administrative and managerial skills.
• Extensive experience in public or community media. Previous experience in a nonprofit setting preferred.
• Experience in audio production, digital media production, and/or digital publishing. Proficiency in Adobe Audition is preferred.
• Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24-7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
Position open until filled.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).
Send resume and cover letter to:
Deadline Open Until Filled
Managing Producer, BirdNote, Seattle, WA
BirdNote seeks a skilled Managing Producer (MP) who has proven experience managing innovative media programming for a wide range of audiences on radio and multimedia platforms.
This position is key to BirdNote’s mission: to create sound-rich stories in a variety of formats that will inspire a growing audience to care about birds and the natural world. The MP will have a primary role in helping the organization reach its strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audio-listening audience, while ramping up BirdNote’s digital production to meet the demands of mobile consumers.
The MP will oversee production of the daily show, provide program direction, and manage an experienced production team with an assistant producer and 8-10 professional contractors. The MP will ensure that the distribution of programs meets deadlines and goals across multiple channels on public radio and digital media.
The Managing Producer will:
• Have primary production responsibility and decision making for the BirdNote two-minute daily program, meeting monthly deadlines and fostering a collaborative team environment that encourages feedback and review of audience data to refine content.
• Manage and work in concert with a with an experienced and growing team that includes production staff, up to 10 contractors, including professional writers, editors, producers and narrators, science advisors, and other staff, as required.
• Direct and manage new content, which includes actively pursuing collaborations with skilled independent producers for longer/shorter broadcast stories, extended podcasts and some video production; collaborate with staff and contractors on related content under BirdNote’s brand.
• Set production goals and targets to align with BirdNote’s strategic goals and measure against results.
• Ensure an audience/customer focus with data-driven analytics and metrics, including target audiences defined for growth and expansion.
• Foster an expanding digital focus that includes use of social media tools to advance BirdNote’s audience goals, following standards and industry best practices.
• Ensure that all facets of programming adhere to and advance BirdNote’s mission, strategic goals, business strategies, standards of quality, and scientific accuracy.
Approximately 37% of MP’s time will be devoted to the two-minute daily shows, 38% to the development of new content and 25% to team collaboration, management, and administration.
• BA or BS in journalism, communications, or related field; or equivalent experience;
• Proven experience in leadership, managing staff, and building an effective team;
• 3-5 year’s experience producing on-air and digital content with strong storytelling skills;
• 1-2 years of proven success developing material in multiple formats across multiple platforms;
• Knowledge of and experience with digital and social media;
• Experience and enthusiasm for building audiences and relationships with external stakeholders;
• Positive, self-motivated, responsible, results-oriented – a team player;
• Excellent written and interpersonal communications.
• Interest in and knowledge of birds and nature;
• Passion to help BirdNote realize strategic goals of expanding and diversifying the audience;
• Enthusiasm to work with a dedicated team that places high value on quality, a work ethic that ensures the job is done well and on time, and willingness to go beyond the call of duty when opportunities arise;
• Ability to experiment and learn from experience;
• A collaborative spirit and a good sense of humor;
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours (with advance notice);
• Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
Hire contingent upon passing a background check.
Salary range: $65,000 – $68,000 FT, DOE
Benefits: includes a generous benefit package including a $5,000 moving/housing allowance, paid time off, medical, dental, disability and life plans, plus retirement.
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter that explains how your skills, experience and interests align with this position to email@example.com. Include your salary requirements and at least 3 links to sample audio stories.
Location: Seattle, WA
BirdNote staff and contractors work virtually from home and communicate electronically on a regular basis, coming together for meetings and planning via Skype, BlueJeans, and Seattle-based coffee houses.
BirdNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Submit a Listing