Current Job Openings
Administrative Manager, KOPN, Columbia, MO
The administrative manager works directly with the station’s general manager to accomplish KOPN’s overall goals. It is an entry-level, “jack of all trades” position that touches every part of the organization; it will evolve, at least somewhat, to fit the unique experience, skills, and affinities of the person who holds the position. The responsibilities of the administrative manager include, but will not be limited to the following (working with the general manager, other staff, and volunteers):
- Supporting the station’s fundraising activities
- Being a “last resort” substitute for on-air programmers
- Maintaining and improving the office, related to cleanliness and organization
- Assisting with a wide range of paperwork and administrative needs, related to finances, grant requirements, and others
- Depending on the person who holds the position, s/he might also be involved in maintaining and improving station technology
- Helping in other ways, as necessary and advantageous
Qualities for which we are looking:
- Excited about working in a community radio/volunteer-oriented work environment
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent spoken communication skills
- Team oriented; willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Able to adapt to the sometimes fast pace and shifting priorities of a rapidly developing organization
- Commitment to KOPN’s mission and to helping build a better world
- Full-time position
- Specific work hours can be discussed; standard open hours are 8:00-5:00, M-F
- Some evening and weekend hours will be necessary (and always negotiable)
- Position will remain open until filled
Please email resume and interesting cover letter to general manager Sean Spence at email@example.com. Open until filled.
Program Director, WPFW, Washington, DC
|Job Title||PROGRAM DIRECTOR|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Minimum Experience Required||2-5 years|
|Where to Send Resume/Letter||TO APPLY: Email resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to: MAScttee@gmail.com|
|Deadline||Open Until Filled|
Job Description/Information: WPFW seeks a Program Director who is serious about innovative, high-quality, community-based programming to provide leadership and vision to growing station.
WPFW 89.3 FM in Washington, D.C., was established in 1977 as a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station. It is one of five stations of the Pacifica Network. WPFW is a community radio station in the nation’s seventh-largest market, providing a distinctive media voice to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and beyond. The station has earned a reputation among its listeners as a trusted progressive voice in the African-American community and across the District, Maryland and Virginia’s (DMV) broadly diverse spectrum of political, cultural and social groups, interests, and popular movements.
The Program Director (PD) reports to the General Manager (GM) and works collaboratively with other members of the management team and the Local Station Board (LSB), and in concert with the Pacifica Network. The basic role of the PD is to produce and manage quality programming from a progressive perspective, i.e., a program schedule that is consistent with the station’s sound, promotes the Pacifica mission as well as that of the station, and serves the needs and interests of its various audiences as identified by the LSB. A PD at WPFW will have a passion for promoting the various movements and cultures of working people, especially those of the demographic groups and geographic areas included in the station’s listening area; and for combining such cultures and movements through programming.
The PD provides direct supervision to over 100 volunteer programmers and producers. The PD is expected to increase the membership of the station through good management skills and decision-making. The PD will participate in weekly management team meetings.
The PD must be aware of the public’s interest in order to create programming that expands WPFW’s visibility in the community and increases our membership base.
Duties and Responsibilities
WPFW seeks a PD to provide leadership and vision, who is serious about innovative, high-quality, community-based programming
1. Works collaboratively with the LSB and its Programming Committee, as well as the Community Advisory Board (CAB) and under the direction of the GM, to ensure that station programming is responsive to the diverse needs of listeners and communities served by the station and otherwise meets the objectives of Pacifica’s and WPFW’s joint mission.
2. Ensures that station programming is responsive to the diverse needs of listeners and communities served by the station and otherwise meets the objectives of Pacifica’s and WPFW’s joint mission.
3. Works collaboratively with the LSB and its Programming Committee, as well as the CAB, and under the direction of the GM, to develop and implement fair, collaborative and respectful systems for evaluating existing and new programs.
4. Stays up to date on audience research protocols and audience-building strategies.
5. Reviews and approves program proposals.
6. Coordinates programming with Pacifica National and other Pacifica stations and affiliates where appropriate.
7. Supervises work of News, Public Affairs and Cultural Affairs departments and prepare periodic and annual job performance evaluations of department heads.
8. Facilitates coaching and training of programmers, volunteers and interns/trainees.
9. Together with GM, ensures program content complies with all necessary Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and Pacifica rules and regulations.
10. Maintains publication of programming schedules on the station’s web sites and in other appropriate venues and media.
11. As part of the management team:
a. Works closely with development personnel and the GM in the development of strategies and plans for on-air fundraising, in collaboration with staff to position WPFW program services for philanthropic support.
b. Oversees special production projects including remote and on-location recording activity.
c. Participates in budget preparation for programming area and the station overall.
d. Represents the station at various public forums.
e. Participates in the evaluation and approval of all premiums offered by the station.
f. Meets with donors as needed.
12. Provides a monthly programming report to the GM, LSB and CAB and, attends meetings when requested.
13. Participates in investigating and resolving staff and volunteer grievances as needed, in conjunction with the union when appropriate.
14. Works to achieve compromise among sharply differing points of view and to motivate employees and volunteers.
15. Other assignments as required.
Have an informed interest in local, national and international news and public affairs from the point of view of the working class and the victims of racism, white supremacy and all forms of discrimination.
Have a thorough knowledge and appreciation for jazz and the music and cultural heritage of communities served by the station; and have an interest in, and the ability to combine both music, news and public affairs.
1. Demonstrates commitment to the Pacifica and WPFW Missions.
2. Three to five years of media management experience, preferably in public broadcasting or related media.
3. BS/BA degree preferably in public broadcasting and management, or commensurate experience in a related field.
4. Be able to work a flexible schedule and be relied upon to respond in case of station emergency.
5. Have substantial and up-to-date knowledge/experience of radio and media research tools, and developing and/or utilizing new and emerging media platforms.
6. Experience with remote and location production and recording activity.
7. Strong computer skills.
8. Exceptional organizational skills.
9. Must have exceptional knowledge of social media platforms.
This is a full-time, exempt and non-union position. Salary to be negotiated. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, disability; vacations and sick days (upon completion of introductory status).
Where to Send Resume/Letter: TO APPLY: Email resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to:MAScttee@gmail.com
Deadline: Open Until Filled