Date Submitted: July 27, 2022
Job Title: Broadcast Journalist: Arts & Culture
Station: Aspen Public Radio
Deadline to Apply: 08/30/2022
Salary Range: $65,000
Experienced broadcast journalist, with a love for public radio and a passion for covering arts and culture, needed to join growing four-person news team at Aspen Public Radio in Aspen, CO.
Aspen Public Radio is a forty-year-old public media organization serving the vibrant Roaring Fork Valley, nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. We seek a sharp, curious, and team-oriented person with a healthy sense of humor. Our culture is friendly and familiar, but we are professional broadcasters with high standards.
Who We Are Looking For
Aspen Public Radio is seeking to hire an experienced broadcast journalist with a strong skill set that includes reporting, writing, producing, and anchoring. We are looking for someone who is, above all, a good reporter. We also want you to be a strong writer, have solid broadcast production skills, and be comfortable delivering live newscasts and conducting live interviews on the air. Among other duties, you will be covering a fun and interesting beat that is focused on Aspen’s extensive arts and culture sector, including both hard and soft news related to nonprofits and arts and cultural organizations and events, covering organizations such as the Aspen Institute, the Aspen Music Festival and School, Jazz Aspen Snowmass, Aspen Words, the Anderson Ranch Arts Center, X-Games, Aspen Gay Ski Week, the annual Food & Wine Classic, and countless other events large and small.
This broadcast journalist will join a growing team of other broadcast journalists at the station who also report, write, produce, and anchor as part of their daily duties. You will be responsible for bringing ideas to the team which advance how the power of radio can be used to tell meaningful stories. You are a multitasker, able to work on in-depth stories and breaking news pieces simultaneously. And you care deeply about connecting with our unique community in a way that continually improves our public service to our community’s diverse stakeholders.
- Produce high-quality, accurate, and ethical reporting.
- Write and produce daily spot news and weekly features and interviews.
- Cultivate a pool of sources throughout the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Produce digital content for our website and social media channels.
- Anchor morning and afternoon newscasts as assigned.
- Serve as local show producer for Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
- Participate in the production of live events.
- Serve as an editor of your colleague’s copy.
- Work with the news director and regional NPR editors to nationalize local stories.
- Participate in trainings and workshops.
- Attend donor and station events and participate in on-air fundraising drives.
- Solid experience in radio reporting, audio editing and production, and on-air anchoring.
- Deep knowledge of the ethics and practices of journalism.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Understanding of the purpose and mission of public broadcasting.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet deadlines on a regular basis.
- Well-practiced collaboration skills.
- Knowledge of nonprofit and arts and culture organizations in the Roaring Fork Valley.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and an audio reporting example to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Broadcast Journalist – Arts and Culture” in the subject line. Application review will begin August 4, 2022. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
This is a full-time salaried position reporting to the Aspen Public Radio news director, requiring availability for day, evening, weekend, and holiday shifts. It is required that this employee be a year-round resident in the Roaring Fork Valley. Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits including employer-paid health insurance, paid vacation, and 403(b) match. Ski pass financing and rapid transit bus pass financing is available. Salary is $65,000. Aspen Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.
Send required application materials to: email@example.com
Address application materials to: Aspen Public Radio