The National Federation of Community Broadcasters serves locally-based media organizations by providing customized services that advance their impact and optimize their organizational capacity.
Founded in 1978, NFCB is the oldest and largest national organization dedicated to community stations within the public media system.
In the beginning, NFCB focused on getting stations on the air in the midst of a wave of grassroots organizing to create a public media network that served the public interest, guaranteed universal access to the citizenry, and championed service to underserved communities. As time moved on, NFCB moved toward gaining a seat at the policy table and was instrumental in ensuring a pathway to public investment in community stations across the country. With a cohort of stations up and running and national representation gaining ground, NFCB pivoted to strengthening constituency cohorts within the community radio field.
Today, NFCB stands on the foundation of the past and continues to help get stations on the air, stay on the air, provide national representation, and support autonomous constituencies within the larger cohort. Moving forward, we are building our future with new vision and an entirely new organizational structure and culture.
NFCB provides customized and innovative services that optimize community media’s capacity to serve their communities and engage them in their service.
A nation informed and entertained by a robust local media service that values the citizen above the consumer, strengthens our democracy, supports creative expression, and contributes to the health of the communities it serves.
- Localism – NFCB supports media service that is largely created and supported by people who live there. In order to build community that is healthy and resilient, deep ties to a particular place or region are not only required but advantageous.
- Leadership – NFCB works to create a positive vision for the future of community media and strives to inspire member stations to engage and contribute to that vision.
- Collective Impact – NFCB believes that structured collaborative effort across public, private, and nonprofit sectors leverages community media’s ability to achieve significant and lasting social change.
- Equity – NFCB maintains that fairness and justice depend on acknowledging social and historical context. The public service that community media provides must reflect that awareness in its structure and in the implementation of organizational policy.
- Inclusion – NFCB advocates for actions and media content that affirm the belief that people value a sense of belonging that is characterized by dignified acceptance. Communities are stronger when this shared value is manifest in the culture of the organizations that serve it.
Board and Staff
Learn about NFCB’s board of directors and staff supporting community media here.
National Federation of Community Broadcasters
P.O. Box 806
Paonia, CO 81428
contact us online
Decades of Service
From conferences to advocacy and representation to one-on-one support, NFCB is dedicated to strengthening robust, local media in every community. To learn more about membership for your community radio station, visit here.
NFCB is committed to being innovative and effective with the goal of facilitating collective impact in the field of community media to achieve greater public service and strengthen financial sustainability.